A sampler of stories about Lexington streets & roads
Who decides? Historically, street names typically signified landmarks (Higbee Mill), people (Patterson) or topography (High Street). Today, most residential roads have been named by developers.
Limestone – Originally called Mulberry Street, the road was renamed to signify its route to Limestone, KY (now known as Maysville).
Jingle Bell Lane – American Tree & Wreath produced 700,000 artificial Christmas trees annually at its plant here.
Corral Street – A corrall once stood behind what was the old Greyhound bus station during the Civil War.
Florida Street – Intended to be called “Mill Street Continued,” itinerant painters had a different idea. They repainted the sign to read “Florida” and the name stuck.
Retrac Road – Developed during the Carter administrations, the new street honored the president by using his name- backwards.
St. Anthony, St. Mathilda, St. Phillip – These saintly drives in Idle Hour were named for the developer’s family members- with the “St.” added before each moniker.
Picadome – The original Picadome High School stood at the site of the current elementary. The high school (c. 1889) was named for two men involved in education at that time: Joseph PIckett, M.A. CAssidy, and two trustees named DOuglas and MEyers.
Gladman Way, Weber Way, & More – Developer Ted Osborne was heavily involved with Bluegrass Kiwanis and named newly-developed roads for past Kiwanis International leaders.